It’s the time of the year, and soon family and friends will gather to celebrate, visit and indulge in a delicious Thanksgiving meal. The beautiful thing about living in a Colby Construction custom home is how perfectly designed it is for entertaining. Today we’re sharing our best tips for preparing for Thanksgiving in your custom home to ensure your celebration goes smoothly and leaves every guest feeling well cared for!
Keep the day less stressful by planning in advance and not leaving everything to the last day or two before the holiday. This way, you can relax and enjoy the day with your company this Thanksgiving in your custom home.
One Week Ahead:
Plan Your Menu
1. How many people will you be serving?
2. Are there any dietary restrictions?
3. Which recipes can you make ahead?
4. Which recipes should be prepared on the day of?
5. Which dishes will family members or friends prepare?
6. Is there something new you want to serve?
Start Shopping Now
1. Make your shopping list.
2. Purchase drinks now, cocktail ingredients, soda, beer and wine.
3. Purchase any paper products you may use, napkins, cocktail plates, etc.
Check Your Inventory
1. Do you have enough glasses, place settings, and silverware?
2. Do you have the correct serving pieces you will need?
3. Check your linens, tablecloths, runners and napkins: is it all usable?
Five to Three Days Ahead:
Prepare For Guests
If you have overnight guests joining you, prep the spare rooms and bathrooms with extra amenities such as soft, cozy blankets, extra pillows, towels and bath robes to help them feel at home. Add a candle, toiletries, reading materials, and candies for an extra special touch.
Make your common areas clutter-free and easy for your family and guest to gather. Put away items taking up space and make the seating area simple and inviting, so everyone feels welcome to sit and enjoy one another.
Create space in the front hall closet and mudroom so you have space for your guest’s jackets, boots and any other personal belongings they may have brought along. This is a perfect place to offer them space for their items if you have cubbies with hooks.
Two Days Ahead:
1. Purchase all of your perishable items.
2. Prepare any dishes that can be made ahead of time.
3. Be sure the turkey is defrosting if it was frozen.
4. Bake your breads and pies.
1. Brine your turkey!
2. Set the dining table.
3. Serve a simple meal, get takeout or go out to dinner to avoid the stress of extra food in the refrigerator or mess in the kitchen.
Besides getting the turkey in the oven, if you have planned ahead, you should be able to relax and enjoy your company! Greet your guest with a festive beverage and toast to all you have to be grateful for.
Everyone at Colby Construction wishes you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving. We are grateful to all of our past, present and future customers for trusting us to build your dream custom home.
For more ideas and recipes, check out our Thanksgiving Pinterest board.